Friday, February 6

Upcoming Flicks!



A new year brings with it a fresh batch of films to get excited about. In the past, I have often worked myself into a fever of anticipation for an upcoming film to find myself bitterly disappointed. So, I find that it is best to go into a film knowing as little as possible with the hope of being pleasantly surprised. Of course, monkey think does not necessarily mean monkey do! (I am the monkey; in case you were wondering).

So, with no further to-do here are my thoughts on some of this years upcoming flicks. Some of which I have my eye on and some that Hollywood hopes we have our eyes on!


Watchmen


I am genuinely excited and apprehensive about this one. The trailer is great and early word from test screenings have been very positive. However, after the uneven remake of Dawn of the Dead, and the exciting but shallow 300, I still need convincing that Zach Snyder has the ability to handle such a complicated plot. Thankfully it is not a long wait...


 


Star Trek


Despite appearances I am not, underlined and bolded (in retrospect I guess I could have saved some time and actually underlined and bolded the word; not to mention the time taken to write this comment...) a trekkie. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan is a classic, and a few of the other movies are entertaining enough, but the bulk of Trek is lost on me. If nothing else it does not look boring, so if Abrams and Co have concocted a good story it might work. Big might though!



Wolverine


Sorry, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This had promise; director of the effective Tsotsi, Hugh Jackman, Liev Schrieber as the bad guy; but with talk of studio interference and an ineffective trailer this will likely be as much fun as root canal.



Terminator Salvation


From McG, director of Charlie's Angels and, wait for it, Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle, comes another Terminator sequel. It should blow, right?! Is it just me or is down beginning to feel like up, and did I just see a cat and a dog making out? This actually looks good! McG (hard to take him seriously isn't it!) is making all of the right noises, Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight and The Prestige) did a rewrite, and it has Batman in it. Batman! This could still go pear-shaped but, fingers-crossed, this could almost erase the memory of T3.



Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen


Transformers was simultaneously awesome and awful. The awful was everything that Michael Bay appeared to bring to it; excessive slomo's, lingering shots of the military, and not a lot of sense. The awesome was robots! Big robots; beating the living shit out of each other! The sequel promises more awesome!



Fanboys


This looks pretty awful but I am intrigued by the concept. Some buddies try to sneak into Skywalker Ranch to show their friend, who is dying of cancer, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, before its release. It's a comedy. 


So, let me get this right; they overcome many obstacles (they must do or it will be a short film) and then, presumably, see the film, see how god-awful it is, and then their good friend dies, bitterly disappointed. Sounds like a laff-riot!



Drag Me to Hell


Sam Raimi (Spiderman 3) goes back to his roots with a balls-to-the-wall horror-comedy! Could be fun.



Scott Pilgrim vs the World


New Edgar Wright starring Michael Cera. See me? I'm over there waiting in line!



I Love You Phillip Morris


Jim Carrey is one of the most under-rated actors today. He is incredible in Man on the Moon, The Truman Show, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Unfortunately, his studio comedies tend to be overly homogenised vehicles for product placement. So, it is with great joy that I see him in a comedy that promises to stretch his repertoire a little! I will save you the plot summary as the trailer sums it up nicely. From the writers behind Bad Santa, this could be a winner!



I Love You, Man


Segel and Rudd. In a comedy. Do you want a map? Go see it!



Funny People


Judd Apatow has a solid reputation and track record. Early word says that this is a step-up from Knocked Up and that he goes a bit James L. Woods on it. It has Seth Rogen in it so I'm in.


And for those of you that have not yet seen Rogen in Freaks and Geeks, or, frankly, seen Freaks and Geeks at all, stop reading and go and find a copy. Now. Off you go!



Observe and Report


I don't know much about this one but it is Rogen doing a serious comedy. It has been described, in various places, as a funny Taxi Driver  (if Travis Bickle was a security guard). Sounds good to me!





Up


The new Pixar flick is directed by the team behind Monsters Inc. Starring an adventuring, crime-fighting, pensioner, who always manages to have tea at three o'clock, it looks like a winner.




Where the Wild Things Are


I cannot possibly see how this book can be made into a feature-length film. Thankfully, Spike Jonze has a much better imagination than me. Hopes are high. The studio may have demanded some re-shoots. It is a gamble but I am hoping, not betting, that Spike delivers.



Inglourious Basterds


Tarantino's "men on a mission" WW2 picture promises great things. The most of which is seeing Freaks and Geeks'  Samm Levine playing a Nazi-killing Jewish soldier. You've seen Freaks and Geeks, right?





Avatar


James Cameron, doing sci-fi, in 3D. I am not sold on 3D yet, but if anyone can do it, Jimmy can. If this does anything but huge business I will be very surprised. Of course, I said that about Titanic too....






I have saved the most intriguing release for last. Unfortunately, it is not out this year so we have to wait until 2011! Is it wrong to wish two years of your life away to see a movie now? Like, right now!


Behold, the Power of the Dark Crystal!



No comments:

Post a Comment