Sunday, February 1

My blog project!



For some time now I have planned to set-up my own website. But, as I currently have neither the time, nor the inclination, this humble blog will have to suffice. It will come as no surprise to anyone that knows me that the bulk of the content will be focused on film.

I have been in-love (obsessed?!) with the flicks since my parents took me to Peter Pan when I was about 3. It was a confusing, terrifying, and, ultimately, magical experience. 

At first I was not too discerning in my viewing choices and, although I took forever to pick a video at the video store, I always ended up with some trashy live-action Disney film. My Dad's recommendation to rent some crappy looking old film called Star Wars always landed on deaf ears; and he recommended it, exasperated with waiting for me to decide, without fail, every time!

Then, one Friday in 1984, my world, and my little six-year old brain, exploded! I am not sure how many times I had been to the cinema by this point, but, looking back, I believe it was only the second time. My Dad took the afternoon off work and we ventured to Hoyts Manners Mall. A smattering of folk sat in the theatre with us; the lights dimmed, trumpets blared, and yellow lettering blasted onto the screen: Star Wars, Return of the Jedi! It was glorious! And, I can assure you, that on the next trip to the video store we rented Star Wars!

My tastes have evolved since then but the allure of the flicks is still strong with this one. (Whoa, just how geeky am I?) My opinions have also grown stronger; when people ask me for my opinion on a film they usually regret it! So, over the years I have avoided, or softened, my criticism of some films. The Lord of the Rings? Ummm, yeah, nice scenery, and errrr, the costumes were good? The Matrix sequels? Well, I didn't have to pay for parking, so that was a plus?! Errr.... Crash? (The non-Cronenberg one). Now, I do try to be polite but I do have to draw the line somewhere! Crash was more manipulative than bad Spielberg (or good Spielberg, if we are being honest) and it had as much insight into race relations as these guys! However, I have to confess, as much as I can be considered a snob, I do have my own guilty pleasures. For example, The Blues Brothers. Good flick? Not really. Do I like it? Yes, I most certainly do! How can you not like this?

So, if anyone bothers to read my blathering, I welcome comments and would love the blog to be able to generate some healthy debate. But, if nothing else, it will be interesting to look back on my writing in a few years and see just how unenlightened my current 30 year old self is!

Anyhoo, as Superman once said: Up, up, and away! (I guess that settles it! Big geek!)

No comments:

Post a Comment